Software developer and user interface designer with over 20 years of experience in all phases of the software life cycle. A passion for creating a culture of design thinking and user experience focus. Enjoys opportunities to learn new technologies and new domains, and strives to foster sharing and mentorship between development colleagues. Experienced in Agile development with Scrum, works with a CI/CD mindset, and strives to establish a standard of quality and improvement in all areas of work.
Competencies & Skills
- Project management concepts: life cycle methodology, needs assessment and usability, information architecture, content strategy, SEO and conversion, and analytics
- 20+ years experience in web development, software engineering, and user interface design
- Server-side programming: ASP.Net with C#, PHP, ColdFusion
- Client-side templating: C♯: Razor, Nancy, PHP: Smarty
- Unit testing: xUnit.net with Moq, Jest
- Web frameworks: ASP.Net MVC, Web API, CodeIgniter, ColdFusion on Wheels
- Content management: Umbraco, WordPress, Textpattern, and Cascade Server
- Wireframing and design: Axure RP, Adobe Photoshop, Visio, Balsamiq
- Client-side frameworks: React, AngularJS
- Database experience: SQL Server, MySQL
- Version control: Git, Mercurial, Subversion, TFS
- Environments: Windows/IIS and Linux/Apache
- Software Engineer, Pharos Systems International
- June 2012–April 2021
- Full-stack development of cloud print management solution's AWS EC2-hosted web interface, with C♯, jQuery, Kendo UI, and React, connecting to RESTful services.
- Worked on new cross-vendor printer UI for HP, Ricoh and KM, with a new front-end custom built on TypeScript, and a RESTful service layer developed in C♯.
- Maintained and expanded API microservices in .NET Framework and .NET Core hosted in AWS ECS.
- Developed WPF user interfaces for printer discovery and software installation as well as customer entitlement.
- Consulted for Product Management team on user experience and user interface design, providing both wireframing and prototyping of new features in web applications and printer UIs.
- Led effort to standardize UI design components across engineering teams, developing standard stylesheet and icon libraries, as well as documentation and example applications.
- Lead Web Developer, University of Rochester Medical Center
- July 2010–June 2012
- Led effort to develop an institution-wide IT system status portal, meeting with stakeholders to deliver UX proposals, and coordinating development effort with programming team.
- Piloted new Content Management strategy for departmental intranet web sites, utilizing the Umbraco web content management platform, built in C♯ on ASP.NET.
- Designed and developed web applications for use in various institutional business processes and workflows.
- Built and managed SharePoint sites for various institutional departments and centers.
- Senior Web Developer, University of Rochester Medical Center
- September 2007–June 2010
- Designed and developed enterprise-level and multiple department-level websites.
- Production Manager, Cazbah
- September 2004–September 2007
- Managed a production team of two specialists, and designed/developed of multiple client e-commerce websites.
- Web Developer, Element K
- October 2003–December 2003
- Developed co-brands for Element K's Learning Management Systems. Modified client-supplied content for use in the LMS.
- Software Engineer, AHT
- June 2000–July 2002
- Developed web applications for print server management software and product licensing servers.
- Groove Juice Swing
- Content author, designer and developer for this website for a dance instruction group. Also designer/developer for various event websites, including www.groovejuiceswing.com and www.stompology.com.
- Designer/developer for this social website for a nationwide swing dance community. www.yehoodi.com
- Pilcrow Music
- Personal website for music projects, built with Hexo and hosted at Netlify. pilcrowmusic.com
- GitHub Projects
- Multiple projects to assist in guitar playing, songwriting, bandleading, and crochet blanket pattern design, built on a variety of web technologies including React and HTML5. alexburr.github.io
- Rochester Institute of Technology
- BS in Information Technology (May 2000)
Available upon request.